Dallas, TX asked in Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death for Texas

Q: I need to know if I can file a lawsuit

I need to know if I can file a lawsuit against the hospital who turned my 17 year old daughter away while she was in a cardiac arrest for she arrived at a later hospital and she died a minute after she arrived parents were never notified until after her death

2 Lawyer Answers
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You would need to get the medical records and consult with a lawyer so they can be reviewed .

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm very sorry for the loss of your daughter. This is a heartbreaking scenario. Only a Texas attorney can advise you on civil practice rules, but you originally posted three weeks ago. Please consider consulting with a Texas attorney WITHOUT DELAY if you contemplate legal action. Depending on the legal theory(s) to be applied, and depending on the entity(s) you may consider pursuing (public or private), many jurisdictions nationwide impose short notice of claim requirements. These deadlines can be in the order of days.

Only a Texas attorney can speak for Texas practices and requirements, but if you contemplate bringing action, it would be advisable to consult with a Texas attorney WITHOUT DELAY to learn the applicable deadlines here. As a general rule nationwide, these timeframes are not forgiving unfortunately. An experienced Texas attorney should be able to explain these things in a consult.

Law firms that handle such cases generally offer free initial consults. You could search firms on your own or use the Find-a-Lawyer tab above to find law firms in Texas or the greater Dallas area. No one here can pass medical judgment on the merits of such a case without knowing more, but I hope you are able to obtain the justice you seek. Again, I'm very sorry. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.