Dundalk, MD asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Maryland

Q: Habeas corpus. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? What can I do to help him?

My fiancé has an open case from a few months ago regarding a dispute between us. He had a no contact order in place, which we BOTH broke. He was arrested the other day and has had 2 bail hearing since then where he is being kept without bail, and commitment pending hearing. His public defender has petitioned for a motion to suppress, request for a speedy trial and most recently a writ of habeas corpus. His hearing isn’t for another 2 months. Is the habeas corpus going to shorten that time or is it just going to make the situation worse? We have children together and it’s extremely hard for me to take care of our home alone. Is there anything I can do to help?

1 Lawyer Answer
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If bail is denied, a defendant can file for a writ of habeas corpus asking in the Circuit Court that he be released until trial. If it is granted, he would be released from jail until the trial date.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.