Asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: I-130 through marriage into widow petition, Does it convert automatically or I-360 has to be filled

My suppose passed away right before scheduled interview for adjustment status, I asked USCIS to reschedule the interview, then later sent them a copy of a death certificate (end of January), never heard back (it’s almost May now),

Last notice in my online account ‘we received the inquiry to reschedule the interview’ dated end of January


(1) Was a xerox copy of a death certificate good enough to send or should it be original document

(2) Did I need to send a widow petition along with it or if it’s converted automatically?

(3) And how to check the status of my case, if it’s converted and processing time for it

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Patricia C. Wall-Santiago
Patricia C. Wall-Santiago
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: I am so sorry for your loss.

(1) Was a copy of a death certificate sufficient? Yes, unless USCIS expressly requests the original.

(2) Do I need to send a widow petition (Form I-360) along with a copy of the death certificate or is it converted automatically? It converts automatically once they received proof of death of the US citizen spouse and you were not legally separated or divorced at the time your spouse dies.

(3) How do I check the status of my application? Online or by calling the customer service line. You continue to retain the same priority date as the original I-130. If, for example, the USCIS office with jurisdiction over your adjustment of status application is Oakland Park, FL the office processing times for that application could range from 8 months to 20 months. Every field office has different time frames. you can check those at

I strongly recommend that you seek the advice of an experienced immigration attorney, to avoid delays and complications.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should immediately retain counsel to file the G 28 notice of appearance of attorney of record in your case so that the case can be processed without any delays or denials. You only really have one chance to get this right so make it count.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.