Fort Myers, FL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Alabama

Q: Does both the CP (and/or DHR) and judge have to approve a child support arrears rebate request or can it just 1 of them?

I have been paying child support as directed by the latest support order (from 5 years ago) and have been consistent about it whenever I've had a job. The new order had an arrears amount added to it of over $3,400. There was a time where I was even paying extra (in hopes of paying down the arrears faster). After reviewing the payment history I received from the DHR I discovered that through my payments and federal and state (AZ) income tax refund forfeitures over the four years (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021) I have overpaid the original arrears amount by over $5,396.49 (overpayment of 55%). However, Alabama DHR is still reporting that I have an arrears balance. In fact, because of the interest being charged, the arrears balance has now surpassed $10,000! How is this possible? Why is this possible? Can a child support arrears interest rebate request fix this? Is there another way to fix this (aside from paying the balance in full. I don't have $10,000+ to pay this off)?

Related Topics:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.