Birmingham, AL asked in Personal Injury for Alabama

Q: How do I get repaid for my costs (beyond insurance) caused by the other, at-fault driver's clear/admitted recklessness?

Almost 2 weeks ago, around 3:00 p.m. a careless driver totaled my 16 y/o son's motorcycle. The responding law-enforcement officers documented that the elderly driver had exited a private, gated residential community; then recklessly drove into the lane (county road) where my 16 y/o son was driving his motorcycle (15 mph UNDER the speed limit). An ambulance transported my son to a hospital nearby where his consequent injuries were evaluated, then treated. My son was released into my care. Both parties, all witnesses & law enforcement officers agreed that the driver of the auto was clearly at-fault. Both parties are insured. Nevertheless, through no fault of his own, my son now has no transportation & is unable to work. The potential for him to lose his job is significant. Does the law provide the means for my son to obtain any financial relief from the individual who clearly caused my son's accident & resultant losses?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Yes, the law provides for people to collect compensatory damages for injuries and property damage inflicted by another parties negligence/recklessness. For specific advice and direction you should reach out to an attorney that handles automobile/motorcycle accidents.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.