Sapulpa, OK asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: What happens when there has not been a discovery given to attorney and the case isnt going to trial

My dhs lawyer has been going back and forth for almost 3/4 months trying to get the discovery for our case from the courts and they keep beating around the bush. Now they are not even responding to him. I know that the discovery does not have to legally be given out (even though we are entitled to it) untill ten days before the case goes to trial. But what if there is no trial for the case and there is not going to be a trial but we still havent gotten the discovery.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anna L Self
Anna L Self
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I don't know what discovery the courts would be providing to you. Generally its the opposing party that you are requesting documents/information from and if they fail to comply with discovery requests you file a Motion to Compel. Your DHS attorney probably knows this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.