Glen Mills, PA asked in Land Use & Zoning for New Jersey

Q: Do I have legal right to claim (or purchase) the portion of a paper street that abuts my property on one side?

I recently purchased a home in Lower Twp. One side of the property abuts a paper street that is ~100 years old. The street begins between my property and my neighbor, is 40' wide, and 425' long with ~40% of it deemed wet land at the opposite end. This paper street essentially makes my property a corner lot and restricts me to not being able to build within 20' of this border. I would like to take ownership of the portion that abuts my property (equivalent to 20' x 68.9'). Is it possible that I can claim this property outright due to the the fact that it has never been, and will most likely never be developed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Your best solution is to approach the governing body of the municipality and ask that the street e vacated. Were this to be done, the property would be split in half and deeded to the appropriate property owners.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.