Raceland, LA asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Would I have any luck getting full custody on grounds that mother is failing to protect a child from mental abuse?

Childs mother and boyfriend have a very physical and rocky relationship and are constantly fighting and breaking up only to get right back together. Recently I had to get a restraining order against the boyfriend for my child (she is 7) and myself basically because mother called me middle of night to pick up child (we have 7 and 7 court ordered) because boyfriend was screaming at child and calling me names, telling her how her older sister was molested by her father. I have messages from the mother sayig how child is scared of boyfriend to the point of not talking when he is around. she tells me bf calls child all sort of names and breaks her stuff but mom thinks its ok because it isnt done when 7 year old is in same room all because bf is mad at the mom of child. At least 2x a month she is texting me saying she is done and wants help moving because he bruises her up and she cant keep putting kid through this only to be back with him hours later. what can I do especially without money?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Keep a calendar of calls and incidents

Take your child to a counselor to disclose her version and fear. Hire private eye to do a background check on the boyfriend. Hire a lawyer to file for emergency custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.