Abilene, TX asked in Social Security for Texas

Q: I am 59 years old, I am 100% P&T disabled through the VA. I am needing to file for SSDI, should I hire someone to help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: Yes, it is usually better to hire an experienced disability attorney to help you with your SSDI claim because the administrative process can be complex. Social Security does not approve many cases at the initial level and many people have to appeal their claim. Data has shown that your chances of getting approved for Social Security disability is much higher when you are represented. The US Government Accountability Office found claimants who were represented were allowed Social Security benefits at a rate nearly 3 times higher than those without representatives. See, https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-18-37.pdf.

At least consult with an experienced disability attorney before you file for SSDI because they can discuss the particular issues in your case so you are aware of them. Most disability attorneys offer a free initial consultation.

If you do decide to hire a disability attorney, they generally work on a contingency basis - meaning that if you win, they will earn a percentage of your back due benefits, usually 25% but no more than $6,000, and if you do not win, the attorney will not collect a fee.

Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Justia to contact a disability lawyer.

By the way, here is some basic information for veterans that Social Security has on their website at https://www.ssa.gov/people/veterans/index.html.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.