Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Colorado

Q: Can a sheriff department deny an inmate any and all phone calls? I was told my son has not " earned" phone privileges.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James W Newby
James W Newby
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You are not the first person to be confused by the inmate phone system. First off, the inmate must call you. You cannot call the inmate. Calls are not free so payment must be arranged for the inmate to call you.

If you deposit money online in the INMATE ACCOUNT then they have the freedom to spend the money on phone calls to anyone, or any other communications services available at El Paso County Jail. With the FRIENDS & FAMILY ACCOUNT, you control all communication services such as phone calls, video visits and messaging. Your inmate can only call the phone number you want. Collect calls allow you to accept and pay for calls to your landline phone account. This means that if you “accept” the collect call from your inmate, all the charges for that call will then be billed to your landline phone account and will show up and be listed on your next local phone bill. Expect additional fees from your carrier. With Quick Connect, you leave a debit or credit card on file. Calls to you from your inmate will be billed immediately to your card. When the call comes, follow the instructions from the automated system to pay for that one phone call on the spot.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.