Dallas, TX asked in Probate for Washington

Q: Grandmother passed in WA 2013. Executor never contacted me but siblings and cousins inherited. How do I see the will?

Executor is in AK, where I also live. I do not know if I should have been contacted or if I should have inherited. There was a will and I would like to see it. Executor has always been unresponsive.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Keith Armstrong
Keith Armstrong
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Spanaway, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Alaska Native. It would depend on what your grandmother's Will says to determine if you should have received notice or inheritance. If no Will, then her heir (her children/spouse) would inherit under intestate laws. No grandchildren would automatically be included, could be, but not automatic. If your siblings inherited (any you all are blood relatives), then you should have. But it depends on the Will. If a Will exists, you can find it in the county where her probate was executed. A copy is open for public viewing. There you can see who the beneficiaries were. The County can help you get a copy of the Will. The Executor may have executed the probate properly but the Will will verify that possibility. If she/he did not, you will be able to see the Declaration of Completion closing the estate and stating that he/she notified everyone necessary and paid the bills and distributed to the right people. It is questionable for your siblings to inherit without you, but there are other possible reasons. The grandmother's child dies, and the heirs (your cousins) may inherit. I would contact the court in that county and find the Will and closing papers to see what happened, then contact an experienced probate lawyer in that county for help. You may or may not have anything to claim.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.