Lincoln, NE asked in Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Nebraska

Q: local grocery store for 8 years would not give me my rewards perks. My groceries are paid. Store refuses. Embarrassed m

I have my receipt and copy of debit from my bank account. They made me very uncomfortable like I was a thief the manager kept saying I'm not giving you any rewards until you pay for these groceries which are already paid for I never felt so embarrassed. I just happened to be a licensed and bonded process server in Nebraska. Of course I never mention any of that because has nothing to do with it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Nebraska attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. In terms of the incident you describe and your chosen categories of Personal Injury and Civil Litigation, it's possible you're thinking along the lines of an emotional distress-distress related caused of action. You mention being so embarrassed. There is a tort cause of action known as intentional infliction of emotional distress. It involves outrageous conduct that results in emotional distress. Without more facts, it's difficult to say if being made to feel uncomfortable rises to that level. I don't see it, based on these facts. Maybe the store could have been more tactful or diplomatic, but what they did doesn't seem to me as something that would be deemed outrageous by a jury. But that's only an individual opinion. Many times, different attorneys could see the same situation with a different point of view. If you consulted with Nebraska attorneys, that could be the most reliable way to evaulate your matter and identify your rights and options. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.