Sebring, FL asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: my childs father had primary custody but he has left my daughter to live woth him mom.can I just go get her.

About 3 years ago I moved to GA and me and my childs father did a signed agreement that my daughter would go between fl n GA and then he changed his mind I came back to fl and went to court and the judge decided that she should stay with him ok. So now his sister told me and so did my child that he left to go GA to work and my child is stating with his mom. I am in fl an I am willing to take my daughter. Now my daughter is being brain washed and saying she doesn't want to come live with me. Being that she would always text me that she did not want to be over there for multiple reasons. What can I do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: No, you can't "just go get her". He still has court-awarded primary custody. That he exercises that primary custody by leaving the child with his mother doesn't change that; it's like leaving a child with a baby-sitter while one is working.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.