Kennewick, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: somebody reported I aimed a gun at them, police searched my vehicle and find a gun out in the open. do they have a case?

Today a vehicle cut me off, so I passed them in the left lane. Their car sat a lot higher than mine and they had a clear view of my passenger seat. Which had my pistol sitting in it. They called the police and said that I had aimed the gun at them when I was passing. They followed me for 2 miles until the police pulled me over, cuffed me, searched my vehicle, and are now sending the case to the county prosecutor. The only evidence they have are my story and her story, And pictures of my gun they found when searching my vehicle. Do they have a solid case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Sorry to hear that this happened to you. From what you have described, it appears they do have evidence to include the firearm and possibly multiple witnesses that were in the other vehicle. It is very likely that the county prosecutor's office will move forward with criminal charges.

It would be a good idea for you to avoid making statements to law enforcement. You definitely have a defense to these accusations and an experienced criminal defense attorney should handle all communications as part of their representation. Many of us offer free phone consultations and can at the very least point you in the right direction. Best of luck.

Nadine Bertman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.