Asked in Contracts for Ohio

Q: Can my ex sue me for throwing out his stuff when it’s been well over 6 months?

We have no verbal or written agreement for when he should get his stuff. Also I have only promised to keep his things while we were together. We broke up July 2021 and it is now May 2022. I also told him on August 12th, 2021 to come get his own things and that I was no longer helping him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: To be absolutely safe, an eviction action would allow his thing to be throw out legally. Some people would send a written letter and give a deadline of the date to come pick things up, or they would be thrown away. But that is risky. Anybody can sue anyone for anything. If you just throw his things out, he could sue you. The judge would determine if you should have filed an eviction action and would base any judgment against you on whatever proof the ex can provide of the things you threw away and their current fair market value. If you are sued, use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local litigation attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.