Fort Worth, TX asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: Does the governor make the last decision on all parole reovations?

Love one violated his parole on a minor offense, does the governor have the last decision, or does the governor have the last decision if the offense is revoked by DOC?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The Department of Corrections supervises individuals on parole and has the power to issue a warrant for a parole violation. If a warrant is issued and the person is arrested on said warrant, the Pardon and Parole Board (usually one person with authority to act on behalf of the Board) will conduct a hearing to determine if a violation occurred. If such a determination is made, that individual will make a recommendation to the Governor to revoke the parole, and that could be a short revocation or revocation of the remaining sentence (and it could include credit for time served on the parole warrant and street time credit, which is credit for the time they were actually on parole and not in custody). If the violation is minor, the Department of Corrections has options to avoid issuing a warrant and getting the person back into compliance without a hearing being necessary. My suggestion would be for your loved one to contact a criminal defense attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.