Washington, DC asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: What do I do if I need to sue someone or something but my parents do not support me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you are a minor (under 18), then you lack legal capacity to sue in your own name, but require a legal guardian like a parent. If you are close to 18, you can just wait out your 18th birthday. The statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit on a cause of action that accrues before you turn 18, does not begin to start running until your 18th birthday. So, for instance, a personal injury claim has a 3 year limitations period that ordinarily requires suit to be filed before 3 years passes from the date of the injury; however, for a minor child, they have 3 years after they turn 18 to sue, or until you turn 21.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.