Asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: My lawyer said i didnt need to put my sons legal last name on anything that was not a legal document. Is that still true

We have legally changed his name but Have not yet gotten his birth certificate changed. His new name is hyphenated and for football he'd like to go by just one of the last names but we were told he cannot.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Parents who need to make corrections or edits to a child's birth certificate can fill out a birth certificate Affidavit of Correction and submit it to any county local public health office. Information to change a birth record, form and locations of health offices can be found at this link:

Schools are required to register children by their legal names. Activities related to schools and counties will usually require the same.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.