Paso Robles, CA asked in Contracts for California

Q: I am unhappy with services from ADT. Can I get out of a contract?

I am in a 2 year contract in California and would like to cancel my services. However, because I have 18 months left in the contract, I would have to pay a 75% penalty of the remaining months. They have been unhelpful with tech support and I have been dissatisfied. Is there any way I can legally get out of the contract without having to pay a penalty?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawn R. Jackson
Shawn R. Jackson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Rohnert Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Three initial steps towards resolution: [1] outline how you are not happy with their delivery of services to their customer service department ... and let them know that various social media outlets, like Yelp, will hear of your dissatisfaction with their support/tech services ... and you are seeking to terminate the contract early without penalty ... [2] if no benefits received in step one, then draft a narrative on the events and circumstances that you think that they have not delivered as per the terms of the signed agreement ... then, [3] if you believe you have a decent case, take the matter to small claims court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.