Q: Can the defendant sue the state for denying his constitutional rights to a trial before a fair and impartial jury?

If defendant is denied his request for a mistrial and is subsequently convicted, only to have the conviction reversed by the Appellate Court, which finds defendant was denied his constitutional right to a trial before an impartial jury, can the defendant then claim damages, and file suit against the state?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jina Ly Clark
Jina Ly Clark
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Possibly. You need to get in your tort claim notice within 180 days of the appellate ruling that the conviction was reversed to preserve your claim. The case would need a full review with details to determine if there is a case. If the 180 days passes, your state law claims will be barred due to lack of tort claim notice. There may or may not be federal claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.