North Brunswick, NJ asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Is filing a motion in court the only way I can get my ex to sign up on “talking parents “ site ?

NJ - been divorced for 8 years.

Ex and I share custody of our only son (15 years old) . I am the residential parent and, he gets parenting time.

This was up to last year in June that is when he moved to the state of Florida.

Until today he didn’t say anything regarding moving to another state nor, how parenting time will change - he only notified our son about his moved.

Communication with my ex has always been difficult to say the least - he is a narcissist, he will lie and distort facts and, change events to suit his own agenda.

I recently was introduced to “talking parents “ and I strongly believe this is a method, where he will not have other choice but, to talk in a respectful, honest way, and follow our court order that only pertains to our sons best interests.

He will not sign up, he sent me a text stating he will not do it.

Is there a simple and quick way to get this motion/Court mandate, in place ?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: A motion could be made, but you cannot force someone to communicate with you or your son, if they really do not want to. Talking Parents is free on any browser but a Standard ($5.99 a month) or Premium ($19.99 a month) account is necessary to access the mobile app on iPhone or Android. Tips: It provides a secure system of record. Talking Parents also offers a location-based search tool for parents looking for a family lawyer.When the child is 14 years of age or older, the guardian must communicate the wants of the child. However, the guardian may still report whether he believes one of the parents is unduly influencing the child and whether the wants of the child may not be in his best interest.

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I have been a family law attorney for the past 35 years and will give you my thought on your inquiry instead of legal advice. You can file an application with the court and you can lay out all of the information supporting an alternate app for communication purposes and a judge can enter an order directing that all communications between the 2 of you moving forward be handled through that app and even directing your ex to install the app and use the app to communicate with you and based on what you described, my bet is that he will not download it nor use it. Instead, he will continue to communicate through your 15-year-old son as he has been doing and he will make up an excuse as to why he is doing it his way. My suggestion is that you document everything and do everything by email and by text message (instead of by phone) so that the substance of the conversations are clear and there is no miscommunications and if you do talk with him by phone, then confirm the substance of the conversation by email or text.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.