Akron, OH asked in Elder Law for Ohio

Q: What to do if my father is considered a behavioral problem and a social worker can’t get a nursing home to approve admit

My father has dementia and when he was first put in a nursing facility and was disoriented became aggressive towards staff. He is now in a hospital for Alzheimer’s patients however he needs to be discharged at some point and nursing facilities who were contacted by the hospital social worker, have declined his admittance. The social worker has called 10 different facilities. What our next steps?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Moshe Toron
Moshe Toron
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If he was in a nursing home prior to being admitted to the hospital, then he is technically still a resident of the facility. They must notify him in writing before he can be discharged from their facility. Once they notify you in writing, then you can appeal it. If you attend the appeal meeting, you can potentially try to prove that his condition is under control now with medications and they can possibly be forced to keep him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.