Duncan, OK asked in Traffic Tickets and Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: When coming to a stop sign are you required to signal 100 feet, when the car behind you has to stop anyways

I came to a stop sign, with the option of going left or right I signaled befor make a right hand turn just not 100 feet befor,

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Technically, state law requires one signal their intention to turn right or left by signaling continuously during not less than the last one hundred (100) feet traveled by the vehicle before turning - if other traffic will be affected by such movement. Municipal ordinances may be worded a little differently, but generally, one must signal 100 feet before turning. Obviously, we have all been in a situation where you don't know where you are or that you are going to be forced to turn one way or another until you get to the stop. It appears like the officer was looking for a reason to pull you over. You may have a legitimate challenge to a citation or to the introduction of evidence obtained from any search that occurred after the stop. I strongly encourage you to hire a criminal defense attorney if a criminal case was filed. If a traffic citation was issued and you want to contest it, you will be better served having an attorney represent you than trying to make the arguments on your own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.