Escondido, CA asked in Personal Injury and Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: An SDGE tree contract worker came onto my property, hit my dog and left without notifying me. Is there anything i can do

Pet was visibly ran over by a car.

I have a few acers, and my dogs are usually out and about on my property.

An SDGE contractor came to our home to inspect and clear around any electric poles.

I could hear as they sped off but didn't think anything of it. I have twins, and was in the middle of changing diapers.

My husband came home to find my sweet Lola deceased in our driveway. She had telling signs that showed she was ran over by a car.

the SDGE contractor was the only one on my property at that time. He left without telling me he ran over my dog.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dan Rowan Cortright
Dan Rowan Cortright
  • Rohnert Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should be able to make a claim with SDGE for personal property damage for your dog, and the driver and/or the company may also be liable for animal cruelty. If SDGE denies your claim, you may be able to sue for civil damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.