Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: How far in advance do you have let the other parent know your moving if there is no custody agreement?

Can they legally stop you from moving if there is no custody agreement?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: There is a default state statute on this and even if your decree is absent wording it is enforceable. However, it is more applicable to the primary custodial parent (or more specifically the one person who can declare the primary resident of the child). You should contact an experienced family law attorney to assist you so that all aspects of legal notice and such are covered if you are the one moving, if you are not the one moving then you need to have them review things to make sure you are protected. Most of us will give free phone consultation so just contact any the well versed family law attorneys you see throughout this forum.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.