St. Petersburg, FL asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Litigation for Maryland

Q: How can I get receipts

MOM has Alzhiemers. Sister and her Daughter are ones that take care of her.They tell us what they want us to know. They don't show any receipts, paperwork or proof of what they claim they do. Nothing is discussed with our Sister or Myself before Sister makes Decisions. Such things as buying food with FOODSTAMPS and wanting Full Cash Value. Paying Daughter and not makingSister or Myself aware of How muchMoney for Burial Plot. Do I have to take my sister to court to get copies of this information,OR CAN I? If so what Type of Lawyer? Need this answered by BALTIMORE LAWYER.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Any Maryland lawyer can answer your question. If you are looking to hire a lawyer from Baltimore, that is a different issue. The first question any lawyer would have for you is, does anyone (e.g., your sister) have a power of attorney executed by your mother appointing them as your mother's agent to make all these decisions regarding her finances and care? If not, or it you can prove with evidence (not suspicion) that your sister with the POA is not acting in your mother's financial inerest, then somebody (like yourself) can petition the circuit court in the jurisdiction where your mother resides (I'm guessing, Baltimore City), to be appointed guardian of the person and property of your mother. Once appointed, the guardian must report to the court by way of regular written accountings how they are managing and spending your mother's assets. It is under such oversight that your mother's financial affairs may be protected in the event of mismanagement or malfeasance. However, if there is a POA in place naming your sister, and it is valid, in the absence of some proof of malfeasance or misconduct in the management of your mother's affairs, the POA will likely be upheld and no guardianship petition granted (or if granted, it will be granted to your sister named in the POA).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.