Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maryland Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Maryland on
Q: Divorced in Maryland; former wife refusing visitation. Making statements that I am not their parent now.

We have a court signed Settlement Agreement granting "joint legal custody." The order outlines that I have unlimited access and visitation rights to our children. However, the former wife routinely states that "you are not their parent, I am." When I press visitation issues,... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Sep 17, 2020

File a motion to enforce court order/settlement agreement, and for contempt. Ask further for a set schedule of visitation, or to modify custody to make you the primary custodian since she is not allowing access.

2 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Maryland on
Q: Do arbitrators intervene in appeal of arbitration awards?

I have filed a motion to vacate an arbitration award which was administered by an arbitrator employed by the Attorney General’s office. The AG has filed a motion to intervene as well as a motion to dismiss. This seems unusual. Do arbitrators normally become involved in the appeal process?

Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels answered on Aug 16, 2020

No, in my experience arbitrators do not usually become involved in the appeal process. But what is your question directed to, concerning the appeal process or your case?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Landlord - Tenant for Maryland on
Q: Security Deposit return

I was renting a house with a few military friends, all three of us were on the lease. I decided to get a place of my own and move out early. Both other tenants and the landlord was notified and I would receive no penalty. An addendum was signed and I was told by landlord and tenants that I would... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Dec 24, 2019

Sue the co-tenant who received your share of the security deposit in small claims court. Whether it is worth your time and effort is a value judgment on your part. It is not worth hiring and paying a lawyer for this amount.

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Small Claims, Contracts and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Maryland on
Q: My friend gave me money when I was on hard times and did not state it was a loan.

After months of not speaking with me the friend now wants to take me to court for money that is not a loan. Would this action fall under Title 5 Subtitle 9 5-901 Executory Contracts? The amount was 800 however the friend is stating in court that it is $1200. How do I fight this? I offered to pay... Read more »

Rolanzo Richard White
Rolanzo Richard White answered on May 30, 2019

I'm sorry to hear about your "friend."

Your matter is pretty fact dependent, however generally, a "gift" is a voluntary transfer of property by one to another, without any consideration or compensation provided to the transferor. Thus, a gift is a gratuity....
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Rights and Social Security for Maryland on
Q: I need representation for probate of my mother's estate. I need someone who deals with special needs trusts

I am on social Security

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jan 24, 2019

Try to find a lawyer in the jurisdiction where the estate is filed, for convenience. Most estate lawyers understand special needs trusts. You cannot solicit (and attorneys cannot solicit) business on this site per the site rules. You can, however, call lawyers who answer questions on this site,... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Small Claims for Maryland on
Q: I own a town house located in Prince George County, Maryland in a community governed by a Homeowners Association.

Rain water from neighbors home has caused mole and water damage in my basement. HOA CC&R, Art. X, Maintenance, authorizes board to repair neighbors property, collect costs, place a lien and foreclosure for owner who has failed to maintain property to standards. I can not repair my damage... Read more »

Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman answered on Aug 28, 2018

After a mediation, you can sue the HOA for failure to enforce its' CCRs.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Real Estate Law for Maryland on
Q: How long can the listing Real Estate Agent hold your Earnest money deposit? Mediation request refused by her boss.

Listing agent contacted me said she knew someone that could help with a loan. I did not feel comfortable when she asked me how many points I was willing to pay. Listing agent works for the seller, not for my benefit. I forwarded lender denial letter on September 26, 2017. She advised she did... Read more »

Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann answered on Oct 19, 2017

The answer to the question should be found in the contract that you signed.

A "typical" Maryland board of realtors contract often specifies that both parties need to sign off on a release before the broker can release the earnest money deposit. Unfortunately if the contract...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.