Portland, OR asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Oregon

Q: My neighbor has trees/ bushes growing into our yard and knocking down the fence between us. Can I do anything about it?

I've asked him to trim them he said No, but I can trim what grows onto my property. I have to pay a landscaping company, how is this fair?

The fence is in terrible condition because of his overgrowth, replacing the fence will cost me thousands and the problem will still persist. What recourse do I have?

1 Lawyer Answer
Katherine Goodman
Katherine Goodman
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: There are a lot of facts that could change the answer to your question such as if the fence is on your property or your neighbors, do you and your neighbor have an easement agreement, and/or your properties apart of an HOA committee. You should contact a local real estate firm to discuss your options after giving the attorney more facts related to the matter.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.