Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Arkansas

Q: How do I get a no contact order lifted ( I'm the victim)& am I subject to punishment if I contact the defendant??

He was arrested on 3rd degree assault on a family member ( me)

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You should contact the accused's lawyer. Court action is required to set aside the no contact order. Usually, a judge will recall or set aside the order if the alleged victim requests that action. Many judges require some statement in open court from the alleged victim requesting that the order be recalled. It is in the discretion of the court unless the accused successfully defends his/her case. Even then, it is good practice to specifically see that the order is dismissed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.