Meridian, MS asked in Family Law and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: If a custodial parent files papers for the non-custodial parent to sign over their parental rights on the grounds of

abandonment in the state of MS, and the non-custodial parent is willing to sign them, but the children aren’t being adopted by someone else, will the non-custodial parent still be required to pay child support after they have relinquished their legal rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: No. Once the parental relationship is terminated, all obligations cease. The exception is that if the non-custodial parent had accrued a child support arrearage prior to the termination and a contempt action was brought to recover those funds, the arrearage is still owed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.