Andover, MA asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Massachusetts

Q: Canceled license plates are being used by someone else in another state.

I was in a car accident last year my insurance company considered my car totaled and I canceled the plates in April of last year before they took it. They had messed up when the tow company was coming so my plates were still in my car and I told the insurance guy I just needed an hour before someone comes over to help me remove them and he said don’t worry about it they’ll just get rid of them just leave them on the car. So I obviously listened which was stupid now. About seven or eight months later I started to get parking tickets in New York City with my old canceled license plates. I disputed it and never heard back thought it was done. A month later got a bunch of more tickets and they keep getting more and more tickets. I’ve called them and explained the situation I got my insurance ex insurance company involved because this has to do with them as well and everyone keeps telling me that I have to just keep disputing these tickets.

1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Unfortunately I suggest you obtain the services of a New York attorney experienced in this type of law because you are going to have to convince a judge that you are not responsible for the tickets based on your circumstances described above. You can also keep attempting to dispute the tickets remotely as you have done, you have had success so far, maybe you will continue to have success.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.