Merritt Island, FL asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Small Claims for Florida

Q: How can I clear an FR 3 suspension if I don't have the funds to pay the judgment?

I was involved in a minor accident in 2011. No damage to either vehicle. My insurance had lapsed and the other party filed a law suit. I moved out of state and realized years later a default judgment was entered against me. Now the dmv wants proof that the debt was satisfied before they will reinstate my license. I don't have the money to pay it. Do I have any options at all?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You indicate that there was no "damage to either vehicle", but the default judgment apparently indicates otherwise. I suggest that you get an attorney to negotiate a settlement (perhaps paying only a portion) with the judgment creditor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.