Dade City, FL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Florida

Q: If I'm in jail no income by law can they make me pay my x child support and received no SSI. For 2 mths

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pamela J. Fero Esq.
Pamela J. Fero Esq.
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You still have to pay your child support even for the time that you are in jail or prison. Imprisonment is unquestionably a "substantial change in circumstances," which means you will be unable to earn an income to pay child support. However, the law in Florida upholds that it is still in the "best interests of the child" to receive the child support payments. That being said, you will owe child support for the time that you were in jail or prison.

You should file a petition with the court as soon as possible. Consult with a family lawyer to know your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.