Franklin, TN asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Tennessee

Q: Employment law and stock option grant question

Hi there--I was laid off from my job at a tech company last week. I have stock grants that vest 20% each year for 5 years. The lay-off occurred 10 1/2 months into my 2nd year of vesting, so I'm leaving a lot of money behind. I'm 54 years old and other people performing much worse than me and much younger were retained. I'd like to get the stock that I earned but do not know if there's any recourse since the agreement I signed when I joined clearly says yearly vesting and I came up just short--any thoughts on how I might proceed with this or should I just sign the separation agreement as it's written? Thank you for your help!

1 Lawyer Answer
Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH

A: You should contact a Tennessee employment attorney to discuss a potential age discrimination claim under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA). As for your contract containing the stock grants and the separation agreement you were given, you should also have these reviewed by a Tennessee employment attorney, since whether you have any contractual claims to the stock depends on how these agreements are written. Best of luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.