Asked in Immigration Law

Q: Father got naturalized while child was abroad. Can minor child re-enter the US using GC?

My minor child and I (mother) are visiting India (both Indian citizens). We are the permanent residents of the US. The child entered India using the Indian passport.

Meanwhile, my spouse (father of the minor child) had to attend the naturalization interview and later the oath.

Has the child automatically become a citizen of the US now?

Can the child enter back to the US with an Indian passport and GreenCard OR is a US passport mandatory?

If the child needs a US passport, what are the next steps to get those?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roland Godfrey Ottley
Roland Godfrey Ottley PRO label
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: The child still has a valid green card even after his father has obtained his citizenship. The child would be able to return to the United States using his green card. However, the child should not be out of the United States for more than 6 months, because that would appear to immigration as lthough he has abandoned his LPR status. Once the child is in the United States, he can apply for derivative citizenship if he is otherwise eligible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.