Las Vegas, NV asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Nevada

Q: My ex and I divorced in September of last year. He moved 20 hours away. He is moving back. How will this impact custody?

My ex moved to be closer to his mom (she's his source of income). He's currently having mental health issues. He has talked about dating Jesus, seeing and hearing god, shooting demons, my oldest having a demonic name (she goes by a chosen name), and demons "attaching" themselves to our kids.

He recently showed up in our state out of the blue. He didn't tell his mom he was leaving, left his car there, and randomly flew into town. He confessed to being paranoid and thinking someone was trying to kill him. He also thinks the house he was living in was making him sick. He bought a Tracfone, even though he has a phone, so he couldnt be found. He just told the kids he's moving back to town and informed me he wants to modify custody to reflect his move.

I'm terrified for him to be around the kids until he seeks treatment. He hasn't gone to therapy. What are my options to protect my kids while making sure they still have a relationship with their father?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: It appears from your message that you have reason for concern regarding his visitations with the kids. I am not certain what type of visitation dad has but you might want to consider filing a motion for modification of custody yourself if you are planning on keeping the kids away from him. This will protect you from any motions he might file for contempt or for withholding the kids from him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.