Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Colorado

Q: If a “Order to issue citation and citation to show cause” served to me by the other party involved is that illegal?

I was served by my child’s father after one of his visits he gave me a citation to show cause with out a “return of service” does this make it an improper serving? If it pertains to the old court order does it make it invalid?

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Birk Baumgartner
Stephen Birk Baumgartner
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Englewood, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The COlorado Rules of Service say that any person 18 years or older and not a party to the case can make service. If this is an ongoing litigation, he may be able to serve you through the courts by mail. This sounds like a contempt citation, which means you should seek an attorney as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.