Little Rock, AR asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: If I was found guilty but my co-defendant gets his thrown out can I have mine thrown out also?

I was convicted of a drug charge. I had a public defender and plead out to one-year probation. My code defendant has hired private counsel and has not plead out yet. But I see where they are attempting to have the case dismissed. If he is successful in his attempt at having his case thrown out what are my options at possibly doing the same even though I've already plead out. We were not severed as defendants in this case.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You could appeal your plea or file a rule 37 ineffective assistance of counsel or writ of error coram nobis. These are all very expensive remedies, I recommend Michael Kaiser in the Little Rock area for appeals and rule 37s.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.