Dayton, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: I want to change my child’s last name to mine and terminate fathers rights. How do I go about this process?

Father is not listed on the birth certificate and paternity has not been established. I have no contact information and whereabouts are unknown.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In all name changes for minors in Ohio, both natural parents must consent to the name change or be notified of the hearing on the application for the change of the minor's name. If one parent does not consent that parent must be served with notice of the application and hearing by certified mail. One parent cannot unilaterally terminate the other parent's rights without a valid legal proceeding such as step parent adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.