Wakefield, RI asked in Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: Is it possible to get a prenup, to keep only a fraction of a house as personal property?

My parents are selling me a $450,000 house for $250,000. And they want to make sure the value they gift me stays in my name. I do not believe it would be fair to retain the whole house as personal property as I would be bringing $250,000 of debt into the marriage.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Albin Moser
Albin Moser pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Yes, you and your future spouse can get a prenup that says that the gifted portion of the real estate equity shall be allocated to you in the event of divorce. A prenup can allocate your property in any way that the two of you agree upon, within reason.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.