Cincinnati, OH asked in Elder Law for Ohio

Q: Vehicle options for Medicaid long-term with parent in managed care

When my brother filled out my dad's Medicaid paperwork I assume he included his vehicle in the non-countable assets. Currently, the vehicle is in front of my house while dad is in a managed care facility. Going forward, what are our options since I don't really ever see dad leaving managed care? Will Medicaid eventually sell/take the vehicle to recoup their money? Should I add my name to the title/registration? Since the car is in front of my house I feel responsible for it. It's not being driven at the moment but could be if dad has needs outside managed care that require transportation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Moshe Toron
Moshe Toron
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Medicaid will eventually take the car sale proceeds if sold after his death.

You can't add your name to the car. Otherwise, it will be considered an improper transfer and your father will be penalized by Medicaid.

While your father is alive, you can sell it for fair market value and use the proceeds to buy something to benefit your father. However, the sale proceeds must be spent within 30 days.

You can also keep the car in your father's name and drive it , as long as the car can still be used for your father's benefit and as long as you maintain insurance on the car.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.