Somerville, TX asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Texas

Q: Is there any way I can adopt the kids without becoming a foster parent?

I received PMC (Permanent Managing Conservatorship) without PCA (Permanency Care Assistance). The boys were placed with me through CPS because of the negligence on their mother. The mother is in prison and the father has no contact with the kids. Both were order from the judge to pay alimony. Neither one of them aren't paying child support. There basically not helping to support their kids. Neither one of their rights were taken away. How can I go about adopting the kids and having the parents rights taken? Also, I want to adopt the boys without having to go through a foster agency, is this possible? Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Scott D Reiner
Scott D Reiner
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: While some connection to the children is necessary to bring suit related to them, it seems that they have been in your care for a sufficient amount of time. Adoption requires the termination of the parental rights, so you would need to file a termination and adoption suit and serve each parent. There are grounds provided for by law and more than one may be applicable depending on the facts.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.