Palm Bay, FL asked in Health Care Law for Florida

Q: have a child(legal adult in FL.)moved Alabama got put in a MentalHealth Hospital,now they say can they charge me with

Son moves to Alabama and gets put in a MHH he is 18 and a legal resident of Florida. They are saying that if I don't pick him up today (found out yesterday) I'll be charged with abandonment and they will issues a warrant for me. All this coming from a ex friend and no one has called me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: While Alabama may think you "abandoned" him, what you did or didn't do wasn't in Alabama; it was in Florida. Alabama can't charge you because you didn't do it there. In any event, don't necessarily believe what ex-friends tell you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.