Carlstadt, NJ asked in Family Law and Estate Planning for New Jersey

Q: Hello-I was engaged to my fiance who has passed away. Do I have any legal rights at this point?

Hello-I was engaged to my fiance who has passed away. We shared his house for the past 2 years, but I was fully moving in this month. I had 1/2 of my belongings there. We were to be wed in September of this year. My son and I were in the process of moving in and had boxes everywhere. My name is not on anything for the house since we were not established yet with being fully moved in. My fiance was battling cancer, but lost his fight. For the past 2 months, I have been the only one taking care of his house, his cat, his cars, and him. Do I have any legal rights at this point?

Two weeks before his passing, he sent a text message to both of his children stating that he wanted me to have his house and that they would get everything else which included: life insurance policies, money, cars, a truck, and two motorcycles.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Have you spoken with his children as to that text? I would find out if they are ok with you getting the house. I would also meet with a lawyer who specializes in estate planning, to review that text to see what steps you need to take at this point. Rest assured that his first question will be whether you asked the children whether they were ok with you keeping the house or whether they object.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.