Old Bridge, NJ asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for New Jersey

Q: My wife filed a restraining order with my address but she has not lived there in 2 months. How do I get back in myhouse

The house is in my name only

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to meet with a family law attorney experienced in handling domestic violence matters. In the complaint ( which presumably was served on you by the police), on page 1, it will have the allegations made by your wife to get the temporary restraining order and the dates for each item. I dont know why your wife moved out of the house, but presumably, her decision to move out of the house is identified in the domestic violence complaint. My suggestion is that you read each of her claims and write down factually your recollection of every detail you can recall from the same incidents so that when you meet with a lawyer, you are better prepared to educate him on what occurred ( and where you stand with regard to getting back into the house).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.