Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Alabama

Q: Can they keep my kids away from me

I left my boyfriend 4 months ago cause of domestic reason. We have 3 kids together. We were living in Jackson Al when this happened. He left and went to fort Payne Alabama with the kids . He hasn't let me get them or see them since and I've tried.. well now he's locked up in Cherokee county Al and his dad has the kids. They won't let me get them and is trying to get temporary custody of them . And trying too get me for abandonment. They said if I come up there they was calling the law on me . Can they do that. There is no legal papers on who has the kids . We just broke up and he left with them are saying I abandoned my kids cause I left but that was the only way I could have gotten away. And I turned to drugs when they left a went to jail so they saying I'm unfit . I'm am getting help and getting cleaned. Staying with my grandma so I can get back in my feet

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: You have a hot mess here. You have to get into Court on this and file an action to establish paternity and custody. He is violent and you have been to jail for drug use. Find a lawyer you practices in your County and get this before a judge... the sooner the better.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.