Charlotte, NC asked in Estate Planning and Traffic Tickets for North Carolina

Q: An organization refuses to admit not seeing a sticker on my car for parking, forcing me to pay a “discount”. Legal/Sue?

My apartment complex put a tire clamp on my vehicle because they thought they didn’t see a sticker. I had talked to them about overriding it because it’s there but they claimed the sticker needed to be placed in the front. No instruction was given to me and nowhere on the lease does it mention anything about sticker placement. They claimed they took pictures all around the vehicle and said that they didn’t see anything. I told them it’s okay if they didn’t see it originally but that it was there. It’s still there right now too. They told me I could pay a “discount” instead of the 140-160 dollars. Is this something they can do? I feel like they should be taking off the Jack for free or even pay me for the inconvenience it has caused, but instead they’re forcing me to pay them for nothing.

UPDATE: They just sent me a picture of a document containing the statement of where the sticker should be placed. However, the lease I signed is still missing just this paragraph.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Send them a copy of your lease, you are not bound by a term that is not contained in your lease. Politely ask them to remove the jack and waive the fine. If they refuse then threaten legal action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.