Lowell, MA asked in Traffic Tickets for Massachusetts

Q: My brother used my name in a traffic stop because he had no license. now i have a $100 citation. how do i fix this?!

Unbeknownst to me, my brother was driving without a license and used my name instead of his own because he has warrants. I wasnt there and never agreed he could do that nor do i support it now. He never told me or payed for the citation and it was defaulted on. i got a letter saying my license is going to get suspended and that i cant request a hearing. he admitted to it but thats just hear say right? also if i cant have a hearing how do i go about removing this from my record?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Acton, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Well, there is a possible path to undo it but it will take time, determination and some frustration to unravel.

One aspect will be whether you want to point the finger at your brother to undo it, and proving that it was him. IF you locate the date and time of citation, you may be able to show you were someplace else geographically or at work etc. Also, if the citation is for 'not having license in possession' it is easier to show the police did not ID the person properly. Was it your car or his car being driven. Logically, if it is your car he was driving and he said he was you the police accepted that. You will need to get a copy of the citation as as start point to see if you have an alibi. Once you get basic information you can start to unravel it. You will need to speak to the police officer, as well as the Court that issued the default. ALso, the RMV. You will also want to see the address the notice was sent to- was it your address or his? It wont be easy to do but you now face insurance SDIP points over the unpaid ticket, and have to attend the warant. Best if you take care of that ASAP so you dont have an evening or weekend ruined if you get stopped, they can detain you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.