Mason, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: Do I have to pay for a non full time student who is 22. Healthcare and other expenses

I agreed in my divorce settlement to pay for reasonable expenses until they were 26. I assumed that meant if they were still in school. Now my daughter is abusing that settlement term

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Parents who are divorced with marital settlement agreements that promise to care for children beyond the statutory age have valid and enforceable agreements. This means that if one parent is not living up to their promises to care for adult children the other parent can file a Motion for Contempt of court or a Motion to enforce the marital separation agreement. Parents will need to look at the exact language of their final agreements to determine if alternate language applies such as a college payment requirement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.