Lady Lake, FL asked in Contracts, Products Liability, Civil Rights and Intellectual Property for Florida

Q: What can I do I signed POA to boyfriends mother to get my car out of impound. How do I get my car back?

While my now ex boyfriend and I was in jail. A friend got my car impounded. I could have sold it but I didn’t want to. My daughter’s grandma was even offering to get it out. To give to my daughter but she wanted to put it in her name. I didn’t want to sell it so my boyfriends mom said she would get it out but before I could have it back she wanted to be paid back. I agreed to it I had to sign POA to her to get it out of tow yard. She later some how got another title and now saying it’s in my boyfriends name. What should I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Whether there is something you can do that would have very good odds in your favor depends on the powers you specifically gave her in the POA. Was the power strictly limited to removing the vehicle from impound in order to give it to you, or was it more general? Either way, a good first step would be to hire an attorney to make a demand, and if the demand fails, file a lawsuit IF the facts are in your favor. Schedule a consultation with an attorney ASAP to review the POA and the circumstances. Depending on the value of the vehicle, the fees and costs for this endeavor may or may not be worth it. Self-representation in small claims court might be a viable option if the facts are in your favor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.